A little question about the rules

Home Forums NaNewGaMo Forum A little question about the rules

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mpepin 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

Philipp Tsenin
    Participant

Hi everyone!

Such a nice thing you decided to establish here! I’m trying to GM for some time now, and looking forward to participating in NaNewGaMo and finding out lots of new useful tips!

Maybe my question is a little ahead, but it’s been concerning me for some time now.

Speaking of character’s focus: are its special abilities added automaticaly while the PC gains new tier? Or should thhe PC chose from the list along with esoteries/battle moves etc. I think the first is right, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

Charles Ryan
    Charles Ryan
    Keymaster

Hi, Philsten, and thanks for joining us. Nothing wrong with looking ahead toward when your players begin advancing their characters in tier, although that’s a bit outside the scope of our program. That said, I have an answer for you below.

First, though, I’d like to call out something about Numenera and the Cypher System (Numenera’s game engine). We often refer to it as “logic is the core mechanic,” and it’s something Monte has written about in his regular web column. What it means is that if the rules don’t cover a situation that pops up in your game, or you’re unclear on how they’re intended to work, come up with your own solution. Whatever makes sense in your game. There’s no “wrong” answer.

(This is part of why we use Numenera for NaNewGaMo: The rules give the game plenty of structure to support GMs who aren’t super confident in their own judgement, but don’t require a detailed mastery of the rules. You can’t get them wrong.)

So: If the first option makes the most sense to you, it’s the right choice. (If hearing from an experienced player helps, that’s how I advance characters in my game too.)

Speaking more generally, some RPGs rely on much more detailed rules, and some of those can suffer if you bend or break the rules too much–things can get “out of whack,” resulting in a game where the challenges don’t match character abilities very well (encounters end up being a cakewalk, or insurmountable). People often refer to this as a loss of “game balance.” But I wouldn’t fret this too much, even in games with much more detailed rules. It’s unlikely a minor misreading of the rules here or there is going to ruin your game. And as you GM more and more, you’ll develop a good instinct for how and when you can bend rules or make quick judgements about resolving gaps in the rules. Don’t sweat it!

Philipp Tsenin
    Participant

Thank you very much for the answer, Charles!

mpepin
    Participant

Hi,
    I’d like to validate that I correctly understand the system, more particularly the part around Pool stats & actions.
    “Some actions require a minimum expenditure of Might, Speed, or Intellect points. If a character
    cannot spend the minimum number of points needed to complete the action, she automatically fails at the task. » (Corebook, p.84)

To use a clear example, let’s focus on the “attack”.

An “Attack” is an action. Basic attacks, without specifically adding Effort, do not require pool points, which means there is no limit to the number of basic attack.

Some attacks require pool points when specified (for example “special” attacks like the Bash fighting abilities), which means there is a limit on how many actions of that sort a player can perform in a given time without resting.

Pool points are then used for two things, and calculated independently:
    The total number of Effort or “special” actions a player can perform in a given time.
    The health of a player’s character.
    To recover her pool points (points used to perform actions AND points used to calculate her health), a player must rest.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  mpepin.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  mpepin.
    Charles Ryan
    Charles Ryan
    Keymaster

Yep, that about sums it up!

• Regular actions generally don’t cost you points from your Pools.
    • But you can spend points to apply Effort. (Don’t forget to subtract your Edge from the point cost!)
    • And some special abilities also require you to spend points. (Ditto about Edge; this might make some of your special abilities effectively free.)
    • And, when you take damage, it comes from your Pools as well.

Hope that helps clarify!

mpepin
    Participant

Hey,

Yep, all clear!

The Corebook generally always present examples where a PC uses Effort for a task. Also, while it refers to the same “stats”, the term “Pool” is used for two different purposes (total points for actions vs. hit points), which sometimes is confusing.

Since 2 out of  the 3 players I’ll play with are coming from the 3.5 version of D&D, I’ll need the basic fighting rules to be tuned.

Thanks again, and good job with NaNewGaMo.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.