Welcome!

Home Forums NaNewGaMo Forum Welcome!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Bradley 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Charles Ryan
    Charles Ryan
    Keymaster

Welcome to the NaNewGaMo forums, and thanks for taking part in NaNewGaMo! I’m Charles. I’m the COO at Monte Cook Games, and I write the NaNewGaMo posts you’ve been reading on our web site. I’ve also been a GM since 1980. I love running RPGs, and I hope I can help you have some of the same great experiences I have over the years.

On these forums you can ask questions, seek advice, offer thoughts, and share your experiences. I’ll be here, along with several members of the MCG Asset Team—our network of volunteer GMs who run MCG demo games at stores and conventions all around the world. We’re happy to help you as you prepare for and run your first RPG!

So don’t be shy—feel free to introduce yourself and ask any questions you have!

MakoStar
    Participant

Good morning! My name’s Kriss. I’m in my 30s, live in the beautiful Northwest, a wife and mom. Always been a proud nerd. 🙂 Honestly, though, I’ve only recently become interested in tabletop RPGs and discovered Numenera while looking for resources. The ease of the system seems great for newbies (especially because the group I’ll likely be assembling – my husband and two friends – are all unfamiliar with playing RPGs as well), and the setting is inspiring. We’re all creative, imaginative types, so it should be lots of fun. I’m the catalyst, as well as the most willing to put in extra time planning and researching, so it looks like I’m in the GM chair. Woohoo!

Thanks so much for putting this whole thing together! It’s exactly what I was looking for!

Cheers!

Philipp Tsenin
    Participant

Hi all!

Thanks again for a wonderful opportunity to find out more about your system and hone my GMastership 🙂 I have had experience with D&D and Age of Aquarius (it’s a Russian RP system) but only as a player. And now I’m trying to spread the word and bring all my friends to the table for Numenera. It’s a wonderful game with unique setting and feeling, so I really hope to convert as many people as I can /|\(;,;)/|\

Thank you and best regards!

heyjude0
    Participant

Hello!

My name is Jude, living in the Pacific Northwest. My dad is an experienced DM and I grew up playing D&D with my sister and other kids in the neighborhood (great memories), and am wanting to try my hand at running a Numenera game for my friends. So I have a little experience as a player, and besides one failed attempt at running a Pathfinder game several years ago — no experience game mastering. I also have put several sessions into playing various storygames such as Monsterhearts, Apocolypse World etc.
    After quickly getting overwhelmed / losing steam with the Pathfinder game, I’m feeling a little nervous and apprehensive about trying again, but would love to get my friends involved with the hobby. Thank you so much for doing this!

Rod Holdsworth
    Participant

Hello all! New to Numenera, but cut my teeth on D&D before they had editions! 😉 Always been a fan of a variety of games over the years – Paranoia, White Wolf/WoD, Beyond the Supernatural, TMNT and OS, Warhammer and so on – but my main game of choice has always been Shadowrun (and by extension the ED setting). I had a chance to play the ‘Rolling Tower’ at a local convention and was wowed by the cypher system and Numenera! I haven’t GM’d anything but SR or ED as of yet, but am picking up books and really like the setting. I tend to blend ideas, so many of my games pull from a variety of sources and environments. I used to consider myself a player that was willing to GM, but am slowly learning that practice and experience is the key. Looking forward to the rest of the NaNewGaMo series! 🙂

Charles Ryan
    Charles Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks for joining us, everyone! I hope you’re finding the series helpful so far!

Arturo Caissut
    Participant

Hi all, Arturo here. Just started GMing my first Numenera campaign, the idea was to run two one-shot adventures to two separate groups of players but both groups liked the system so much that they’ve asked for a follow-up session each, so I guess it’s worth treating their efforts as two mini-campaigns. This is the effect of testing a great game with a good mix of seasoned players and newbies, they simply loved it. Since aside from this small experiment I’m planning a longer, more structured campaign (with these two beta testing groups I’m mostly relying on Weird Discoveries and a lot of improvisation) these blog entries are a real treasure to me. Great idea!

Charles Ryan
    Charles Ryan
    Keymaster

Glad you’re finding them helpful! The Instant Adventures in Weird Discoveries (and also Strange Revelations, for The Strange) are really awesome for low-prep GMing, but they can be a bit more challenging for a new GM than conventional adventures, because they rely more highly on your ability to improvise and make adventure decisions on the fly. That’s not rocket science, but some beginning GMs find it a bit more daunting than conventionally presented adventures.

That said, as you point out they give you a whole mini-campaign with almost no work, so if you’re comfortable with the format, they’re a great resource!

Philip
    Participant

Thanks for putting together this program! Even if the forums are quite at the moment I’m sure there are many people lurking and learning! Keep up the fantastic work!

Charles Ryan
    Charles Ryan
    Keymaster

You’re quite welcome, and thanks for joining us!

Martin Tenbones
    Participant

Hello! I’ve been surrounded by people that played tabletop rpgs for years, but never got into it.

Then I read a review of The Strange, and bought the core book the next day.

Now a week away from GMing the first game!

Bradley
    Participant

Hello!
    My name is Bradley. I live in Idaho currently and have been wanting to play Numenera for a long time now. I heard about it when it first launched but really got into it in 2014 around the time the boxed set kickstarter launched. I’ve been a fan of Planescape for years since Torment came out in the 90s. I was in the middle of running a Planescape campaign when the box set was mailed out, so despite my excitement for it I haven’t actually gotten to run a game of Numenera yet.

My group is pretty lazy when it comes to these kinds of games so it generally falls on me to get things together.  Last week they all spontaneously wanted to make Numenera characters, so we’re going to start our first campaign in a couple weeks.

I just found out this about NaNewGaMo thing and am going to read through the articles and hopefully it should be a big help! I’m really excited. There certainly wasn’t this much helpful information when I started studying the AD&D 2E and Planescape books.

Nice to meet you all.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.